No danger to the public
The public was asked to leave the Tuesday budget at the MOC by Mayor Al Strathdee so Council and Staff could discuss an on-going issue in a closed door session.
At approximately 4:00 pm on February 2, 2016 the Town was notified of a potential methane leak at 665 James Street North. The problem was first detected with “bubbling water” coming from underground in the large parking lot. At that time, Union Gas was contacted and determined that there were no natural gas leaks in the area, and that all gas readings were well below hazardous levels. The Town of St. Marys was in regular contact with other Provincial Organizations to ensure the scene was safe for local residents. Public Works and Fire Department staff were mobilized and monitored the area throughout the night to ensure that gas levels remained safe for residents. No presence of gases was detected throughout the night, and as of 7:00 am February 3, 2016 monitoring was discontinued. As of 10:30 pm on February 2, 2016 the Ontario Clean Water Agency has confirmed that there was no gas present in any of the local storm and sanitary collection system. The Town will continue to work with the property owner to follow-up on this situation however any further risk to public safety has ended.